When we published our 2012 Bucket List, we expected to get many questions about why a particular destination or event wasn’t mentioned – and we look forward to getting them. We will be expanding upon our list throughout the year and we are always looking for great ideas for Wisconsin Trails magazine, so keep your ideas coming.
I recently heard from Stockholm’s Alan Nugent, who sent me 25 reasons why his town should be on everyone’s Wisconsin Bucket list. Here are five of them:
1. Named a 2010 Top 5 Small Town getaway in the Midwest by Midwest Living.
2. Among the top 10 leaf peeping destinations in the U.S. by Smarter Travel and Yahoo
3. Listed as a top 5 Wisconsin shopping destinations in the state by TravelWisconsin.com.
4. Sits on the shores of Lake Pepin along the Great River Road, one of the few federally designated scenic routes.
5. Mark Twain wrote of this area, “That grandest conception of nature’s works, incomparable Lake Pepin – these constitute a picture whereon the tourist’s eye may gaze uncounted hours, with rapture unappeased and unappeasable.”
There you go – all great reasons to visit this tiny town (population 97) in Pepin County in east-central Wisconsin. And while you’re there, make a weekend of it. This Wisconsin Trails article tells you where to go and what to do over a 36-hour period. And, the article was name the 2008 Midwest Travel Writers Association Best Regional Magazine Story.
Wonder why your town or event isn’t on the list? Tell us why it should be here.