Kinda funny that Chelsey is also thinking about gear. From where I sit, atop the heap of GearGeekdom, she is showing a remarkable amount of restraint. For those who are wired like me, who already have more outdoor gear than they can actually use, this time of year poses a significant domestic challenge. The challenge goes like this: Me: ” Packs are 20 % off at REI this weekend! ” Wifey: ” You already have three packs. What do you need another for?” Me: ” I need a bigger one.” Wifey: ” Why?” Me: ” Well, not so much a bigger one, but one with a separate sleeping bag compartment.” Wifey: ” Why do you need that? ” Me: ” So I can stay more organized.” Wifey: ” You mean organized like how I asked you to organize the basement?” I lose almost all of these discussions. But between the ones she lets me win and the pre-Wifey gear that I’ve had since Boy Scouts ( think Watergate era ) I have more gear than I need. Doesn’t stop me from pouring over the catalogs that come in the mail or checking out all the specs that are online. ” Stove X boils a gallon of water in under a minute!!!” ” Tent Y has an external mosquito and bear repelling coating!” I believe it all, and I want to try it all. I’ll get almost nothing, because as I said, I have pretty much all I need. But I snuck in a bucket list item to go camping with my grandsons. Being 10 and 5 they don’t have much in the way of gear. Which means they need a lot and I need to help them with their decisions…and they are the only two of my gender that my wife hasn’t figured out how to say no to.
- Hartman Creek State Park is a beautiful, underrated escape in central Wisconsin. jsonl.in/2FnaTWJ https://t.co/sJu6I0pGgR 1 day ago
- 6 spring hikes in Wisconsin jsonl.in/2CQoQK9 https://t.co/SIQ0sFSDyK 1 day ago
- 5 things to do around Wisconsin this weekend jsonl.in/2tSc5PU 1 day ago
- Hiking this weekend? Take these outdoor apps with you. jsonl.in/2GxieDK https://t.co/Qtv2Q2a6wS 1 day ago
- Rail-trails are a perfect path for a bike-camping trip in southeastern Wisconsin jsonl.in/2CW7YFX https://t.co/uhQ1vGL5cC 1 day ago