Kinda funny that Chelsey is also thinking about gear. From where I sit, atop the heap of GearGeekdom, she is showing a remarkable amount of restraint. For those who are wired like me, who already have more outdoor gear than they can actually use, this time of year poses a significant domestic challenge. The challenge goes like this: Me: ” Packs are 20 % off at REI this weekend! ” Wifey: ” You already have three packs. What do you need another for?” Me: ” I need a bigger one.” Wifey: ” Why?” Me: ” Well, not so much a bigger one, but one with a separate sleeping bag compartment.” Wifey: ” Why do you need that? ” Me: ” So I can stay more organized.” Wifey: ” You mean organized like how I asked you to organize the basement?” I lose almost all of these discussions. But between the ones she lets me win and the pre-Wifey gear that I’ve had since Boy Scouts ( think Watergate era ) I have more gear than I need. Doesn’t stop me from pouring over the catalogs that come in the mail or checking out all the specs that are online. ” Stove X boils a gallon of water in under a minute!!!” ” Tent Y has an external mosquito and bear repelling coating!” I believe it all, and I want to try it all. I’ll get almost nothing, because as I said, I have pretty much all I need. But I snuck in a bucket list item to go camping with my grandsons. Being 10 and 5 they don’t have much in the way of gear. Which means they need a lot and I need to help them with their decisions…and they are the only two of my gender that my wife hasn’t figured out how to say no to.
- 🔥🔥🔥 twitter.com/NWSMKX/status/… 1 hour ago
- It's a food festival weekend: Beer & Bacon in Wausau, Cranberry in Warrens & Apple in Gays Mills. jsonl.in/2y6Qhxr 2 hours ago
- RT @NWSMKX: Yesterday's highs were mostly in the 80s, but with more sunshine we'll get into the 90s today. Welcome to fall? #swiwx https://… 4 hours ago
- Happy #FirstDayofFall! 6 fall hikes within 60 miles of Milwaukee: jsonl.in/2hnSf9G https://t.co/wggbrRjk3C 4 hours ago
- The leaves are starting to change in northwestern Wisconsin. Here are some things to do in the area. jsonl.in/2t5vBEk 20 hours ago